The FunDza Literacy Trust is a non-profit organisation with a mission of getting young people across South Africa reading and writing for pleasure. FunDza has an online reading platform that publishes a diverse range of local content relevant to its readership. It focuses strongly on supporting and developing new and emerging writers. Its online platform reaches more than 200,000 unique users monthly and it is constantly looking at new ways to grow this readership and deepen its impact.
FunDza is looking for a Deputy Content Manager to assist with the development of content, the growth of its readership and the mentorship of youth writers.
The key elements of the job include:
• Assisting with the strategic development of a comprehensive reading and writing programme
• Commissioning, editing and proofing content on a regular basis
• Managing an internal writing and editing team
• Mentoring young writers
• Writing fiction and non-fiction as required
• Report-writing as needed
• Promoting reading and writing as vital twenty-first century skills for young people
• Relevant tertiary degree or diploma is required
• Creative writing degree/diploma is advantageous
• Excellent English language skills are required
• Knowledge of other African languages is advantageous
• Prior editing experience is essential
• A love of reading and writing is essential
• Ability to work well in a small team, and to manage others with sensitivity and assurance
• Preferably, a driver’s licence and/or own transport.
Please note: This is a full-time position based in our offices in Muizenberg, Cape Town, starting beginning of 2020. No relocation costs will be covered. The first three months form part of a probation period. The remuneration is aligned to qualifications and work experience.
Please email a two-page CV with three contactable references, and a one-page motivation letter to Dawn Wilson – email@example.com – by 17 November 2019.
Include the following in the subject line: Deputy Content Manager
This appointment will be made in line with our employment equity strategy.