The FunDza Literacy Trust is a non-profit organisation with a mission of getting young people across South Africa reading and writing for pleasure. FunDza has an online reading platform that publishes a diverse range of local content relevant to its readership. It focuses strongly on supporting and developing new and emerging writers. Its online platform reaches more than 200,000 unique users monthly and it is constantly looking at new ways to grow this readership and deepen its impact.
FunDza is looking for ONE or TWO in-house editors/writers to develop content for fundza.mobi and to edit the work of young writers.
The key elements of the job include:
• Writing feature articles and blogs for the fundza.mobi platform
• Sourcing third-party content for the platform
• Editing poetry, essays, short stories submitted by young aspirant writers
• Providing writers with feedback on their work
• Promoting the online platform to reading and writing groups
• Assisting with the facilitation of writing workshops as required
• Using social media and other methods to build active and engaged readers and writers
• Contributing creative energy and strategic thinking to the work of reading and writing promotion for young people
• Excellent written English language skills are required
• Knowledge of other African languages is advantageous
• A matric certificate with good English language results is required
• A relevant three-year degree or diploma is advantageous
• A love of reading and writing is essential
• Preferably, a driver’s licence and/or own transport.
Please note: This is a full-time position based in our offices in Muizenberg, Cape Town, starting beginning of 2020. No relocation costs will be covered. The first three months form part of a probation period. The remuneration is aligned to qualifications and work experience.
Please email a two-page CV with three contactable references, and a one-page motivation letter to Dawn Wilson – firstname.lastname@example.org – by 17 November 2019.
Include the following in the subject line: IN-HOUSE WRITER/EDITOR INTERN
This appointment will be made in line with our employment equity strategy.